Friday, February 10, 2012

Get your wheels turning!

So I don't know about everybody else but I think the biggest obstacle to getting involved and serving in the community is not the desire to act but knowing how to get involved. We know there are terrible things happening to good people all around us. There is no shortage of diverse hardships they we face who are in need in this world. Yet somehow it can be hard to figure out how to jump in and help. Or is it just me? We have our little world with it's comfort zones and it can be really hard to step out of it. While this is a big obstacle another one is TIME, there is a serious shortage of it. There are SO MANY things vying for our time, it can be hard to prioritize, I know I am not telling you anything new her ;). There is always room though for little acts of kindness, We just have to start thinking that way and it will become a part of who we are....now stepping down from my soap box ;)

I know I think BIG which is great but I can also loose focus on the small things sometimes. What I am trying to say is; if you aren't solving world hunger don't be discouraged and think your not helping. Good deeds have a chain reaction. I know this a commercial but it illustrates the point I am trying to make.


Truthfully I think that if everyone or nearly everyone was focused on helping others World hunger would solve itself.

Today  I want to share some inspiration from two websites I found, one is an organization and the other a blog posting.

Do something.org is focused on teens and while I don't agree with everything on the site it is a good resource for ideas.




This picture is from a post about how on her birthday she did 26 nice things for others. Some really great ideas here! For example she took soda, chips & salsa and gum etc to a local fire fighters station...how easy is that? Such a great idea!!! (they ended up giving her a tour, she was just planning on dropping it off) She also... "purchased a book of stamps while at the post office and asked the clerk to give them to a random customer with a card full of my best wishes." How nice to be the person who got that book of stamps and nice card, that would totally brighten my day! To see what else she did check out the full post.

Photobucket

Okay so here's the deal I am going to stop here BECAUSE I want you to take some time and check out these links. I want to hear your thoughts after you have looked at them...deal? 

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love the idea of doing a bunch of little random acts of kindness for your own birthday...so memorable and a great way to kick off a new year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just stopping by from the Linky Party Hop. I hope you will visit www.laughterandgrace.com and follow back.

    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what your thinking and appreciate your taking the time to comment. Thanks for stopping by :) Come back soon! (I respond to every comment via e-mail so it won't show up here unfortunately)