Tuesday, March 6, 2012

When it's gone it's gone!



I have been thinking about this a lot lately...how quickly time is passing AND I don't want to have any regrets. I don't want to wish I had played with my kids more, or done this or that nice thing for this person or that person, or learned this or that, or went here or there. We are all busy, so busy! We have to pick and choose WISELY how we spend our time. I need a lot of improvement in this area!

When I look back on my life 40 years from now I won't wish I had wasted more evenings watching mind numbing TV. Don't get me wrong I love White Collar and Burn Notice and maybe a few others...hehe but I find it wastes my precious time...yes it is precious the most prescious commodity I have. Me and my husband have been contemplating getting rid of our TV all together. I have to wonder if it really is time to get rid of it when I feel like what would life be like with out TV, can I do it? To me this is really sad and frightening. I should be able to walk away from it no problem but when I feel like I can't, isn't that when you should get rid of it? TV is really just the tip of the iceberg so to speak when it comes to time wasting but the one I have been thinking of lately.

Perhaps you think I am off my rocker for wanting to get rid of my TV or maybe you don't have a TV...what are your thoughts.???

The Hulu commercials are putting a funny spin on the truth.






"And in my dreams I came to a beautiful building, somehow like a bank, and yet not a bank because the brass marker said, 'Time for Sale.'
"I saw a man, breathless and pale, painfully pull himself up the stairs like a sick man. I heard him say: 'The doctor told me that I was five years too late in going to see him. I will buy those five years now — and then he can save my life.'
"Then came another man; also who said to the clerk: 'When it was too late, I discovered that God had given me great capacities and endowments, and I failed to develop them. Sell me ten years so that I can be the man I would have been.'
"Then came a younger man to say: 'The company has told me that starting next month I can have a big job if I am prepared to take it. But I am not prepared. Give me two years of time so that I will be prepared to take the job next month.'
"So they came, ill, hopeless, despondent, worried, unhappy — and they left smiling, each man with a look of unutterable pleasure on his face, for he had what he so desperately needed and wanted — time.
"Then I awakened, glad that I had what those men had not, and what they could never buy — time. Time to do so many things I wanted to do, that I must do. If that morning I whistled at my work, it was because a great happiness filled my heart. For I still had time, if I used it well"  (to read full address)

 I must continually resolve to do better about how I use my time - whither it be spending time with family, making sure friends and family know I love them and care or acting on a generous thought. Have a good one and thanks for stopping by!


5 comments:

  1. I'm not gonna lie. I feel like my TV time is double duty for much needed mind numbing but also for doing the little projects that are soooo difficult with my three beasts during the day. However, we have instituted less than an hour of TV a day, if any at all, during the week. By the time the weekend rolls around they aren't that interested in television and we all find ourselves having more meaningful conversations and funner activities. Getting rid of it altogether is a little too extreme for me but less is definitely more in this case :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, actually, it's not so much TV as blogging for me (c: And oh my heavens, are you as big of a Neal Caffrey junkie as I am??? LOVE that guy (c:

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder about this too...we watch quite a lot in the evenings, and we love it very much. We are the types that watch a whole series start to finish in a week or so (we're on the killing right now). I guess the way I see it is that we aren't really going on a lot of dates and many of shows we watch make us talk (like EVERYTHING on A and E), but sometimes it does start to feel like it is a bit much. Like when I'm watching the Bachelor and wondering why on Earth I am watching this instead of doing ANYTHING else in the world...then it seems foolish to waste my days watching crap...

    ...annnnnnd sorry for the super humongous comment ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just found your blog and had to read ALL about it! You are so inspiring! I made a goal this year to do a service project and learn a new talent. It has turned into a real passion. I'm making quiet book templates/printables for Primary. Each book follows the monthly theme of Sharing Time. I'm sharing them via my blog at
    GospelLearningOnYourLap.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by my blog DeAnn. I just came by to check yours out. I don't think its nuts to get rid of your tv. I had the crappiest tv for 3 years and never watched anything. That was also the time I started to do more creative projects!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what your thinking and appreciate your taking the time to comment. Thanks for stopping by :) Come back soon! (I respond to every comment via e-mail so it won't show up here unfortunately)